Monday, August 17, 2015

10 ways you can benefit from hiring a Doula


10 ways you can benefit from hiring Doula

I remember when I was pregnant I thought I had it all under control. I completed my DONA Doula training and 2 weeks later I was pregnant after trying for several years and recovering from an ectopic 1 year prior. Yay!! Right??

I sat down and discussed with the Hubby that it only makes since to have a Doula. The Doula needs a Doula. Well, my Husband and lovely Mother convinced me that they could work as a great power house team and help me to achieve all my Birthing goals. I labored at home while my husband slept for a while. I felt that if I allow him to rest he will have the necessary energy during the big show. Plus Macks our wonderful Golden Retriever walked with me and stayed with me the entire time I labored at home. Needless to say my Husband was wonderful but not as effective as I needed him to be.

I labored for 22 hours and pushed for 3 hours with wonderful family support. How ever not the necessary support to prevent me from over working, not finding comfort on the contractions and not preventing the epidural.

Yes, the doula had an epidural. I hate to say it but “If I would have had a doula she would have kept me focused, relaxed and managing my level of discomfort as well as reminding me to change position because my daughter was OP and that’s why I had such uncomfortable back labor. I think I could have managed without the epidural”.

Many do not see the importance of having a doula.  We are a necessary part of the birthing community.

There are some who need it more that others and we are needed by families for various reasons.

Here is 10 ways you benefit from having a doula:

1.      You receive consistence non-judgmental support during pregnancy.

2.      You receive unlimited continuous support during labor & delivery

3.      Take the feeling of being overwhelmed assist in Feel more secure & cared for

4.      Results in shorter labor with fewer complications

5.      Reduces the need for Pitocin, forceps, vacuum extraction, episiotomy & cesarean.

6.      Reduces mother’s request for pain medications & or epidural

7.      Have greater success with breastfeeding

8.      Necessary resources to assist in making sound decisions.

9.      Assistance with creating your birth plan

10.   Assistance navigating the birthing system


As a Doula, I work with the mother. Most do not realize we also work with the Dad as well. It really depends on Dad comfort leave dealing with managing experiences like delivery. I work with Dad in many ways. I am there to remind dad tell mom she is beautiful, you Love her and she is doing a great job. I also remind Dad to eat, sleep you have to keep your energy up. Give family updates. I also take picture of those wonderful and powerful moments you don’t even realize you have.

 I have had dad’s stay at the head of the bed and just hold moms hand the entire time. If you’re a Mom who need more interaction then a Doula would be great.

 If dad is one who is not a very affectionate person and not one for many words and you need verbal encouragement, words of affirmation and physical touch to help get you through then hiring a Doula is a great path to venture.

If your partner is everything and you just simply do not want him doing anything else just stay by your side the Doula can make sure your other needs are taking care of. Reminding you to breath, change position if you are experience certain contractions or if you need to remind dad when to take charge when staff is coming around and decisions are needed and you just don’t understand what choices you have.

The Doula isn’t there to take anybody place. We are there to help your experience be as close to your birth plan as possible. We are you enforcer, task master, coordinator and your source of caring and compassion. We are who you need us to be in addition to being your Doula.

If you have been considering a Doula feel free to schedule a consultation with me and see if we will be a good fit for one another. www.peacefulbirthingdoula.com

Tunisia Macklin
Peaceful Birthing Doula
Educate, Encourage, Empower and Serving Women
http://www.peacefulbirthingdoula.com
peacefulbirthingdoula@gmail.com
(630)481-6079

Birthing your little one is a beautiful experience make sure you enjoy it. You will never forget. Make sure your memories are as precious as your little one.

For information on fact based information on hiring a doula

http://dona.org

to review testimonies from Mom’s I’ve worked with

1 comment:

  1. Great article!! Some really insightful words and so very happy you had a successful birth (even with the epidural) and healthy daughter!

    ReplyDelete